CRAIG'S DRUG STORE WILL BE ENTERING IT'S 150TH YEAR IN 2017!!
Craig's Drug Store has been in operation in Cambridge, Maryland since 1867. The following is a brief history of the business and it's owners.
Craig's originally opened on High Street, then moved to the corner of Race and Gay Street before January of 1881. It was then located at 521 Poplar Street from 1902 until it moved to 409 Race Street on July 1, 1998. The pharmacy was started by Charles P. Craig, and carried on by his son, William G. Craig. They were two of the first men to have certificates issued by the Maryland Board of Pharmacy. Both certificates are dated 4/8/1902, with William's being #3 and Charles' being #4. These certificates are both hanging in the pharmacy today. There are two prescription books from these early times with the oldest prescription being dated 1893.
Earl Webster worked with the Craig's family and eventually bought the business from them. Clarendon Gould and Charles Kelly both worked for Mr. Webster in the pharmacy. When Mr. Kelly was younger his job was delivering prescriptions on a bicycle. He left to serve his country in WWII, returned home, attended and graduated from the University of Maryland School of Pharmacy and then he and Mr. Gould bought the business from Mr. Webster in 1957. That year the business was incorporated making it Craig's Drug Store, Inc. Mr. Kelly's son, Charles W. Kelly attended the University of Md. School of Pharmacy and graduated in 1972, then came home to work for the business. He proceeded to purchase the business and became the sole owner in 1987. Many family members have worked in the business over the years. Charles Kelly's daughter, Jacquelyn Kelly has worked at Craig's since she graduated from Shenandoah University School of Pharmacy with her doctorate. His sister, Jennifer Kelly Grier and brother-in-law, Lee Grier worked as pharmacist, and sons, brother and sister-in-law have all worked in some capacity.
Craig's is an independent Health Mart and Epic pharmacy that has established itself as service oriented to all customers.
Now we look forward to the next century, as always..............
"CARING FOR YOU SINCE 1867"